The family of a British schoolboy who died of an allergic reaction to a plate of spaghetti called his tragic death “the worst day of his life”.
Seven-year-old Cameron Wahid suffered a severe epileptic shock from eating pasta made with milk at a restaurant in the town of Ravello on the Amalfi Coast, where he had been spending half his time with his family.
Restaurant staff were warned about his son’s severe allergies, saying he could not have any cheese or dairy products, but the waitress did not understand his request and assured him it was safe. Is.
He fell in front of his mother, 43-year-old father Esquinra, 43-year-old father Rizwan and younger brother, Adan, after eating a pasta dish containing dairy products.
A few minutes after returning to his tour bus with other British tourists, Cameron was shocked before he had a heart attack in Central Square.
Mrs. Wahid, a nurse, managed to give her son an epinephrine, but it was too late, and the schoolgirl died 30 days later, on October 30, 2015, in a Naples hospital.
Cameron was always allergic to dairy, but his family said they were very careful with his food and we waited for the staff to make sure the food was safe.
He believes he was able to avoid death and is still struggling to cope with his tragic death.
Now, Cameron’s parents are demanding that he learn from his death and raise awareness of the seriousness of allergies.
Mr Waheed has begun working as an ambassador for Allergy UK, one of the UK’s leading charities that helps people with allergies.
This week, he said: “Cameron’s allergies have always been severe, but we were so careful with him and disgusted with his food.
“Before her allergic reaction, we were assured by the waiting staff that the food was safe for her.
“She is suffering from anaphylactic shock and seeing such suffering was undoubtedly the worst experience of our lives,” he said.
“He was such a cute little boy, and always brightened our day.
“We think he was able to avoid death and we are still struggling to come to terms with his absence.
“We know nothing can bring it back, but we want to help prevent others from suffering the pain we feel.”
Following Cameron’s death, the family fought a long legal battle against the La Margarita Villa Giuseppe restaurant.
Easter de Lassio, a food waitress, was convicted of criminal genocide by an Italian court in Salerno in September 2019.
De Lacio was sentenced to two years in prison.
The court found that they did not explicitly mention the possible allergic reaction to the ingredients in the dishes on the restaurant’s menu.
Pasta Cameron was served with eaten tomato sauce prepared with milk. The chef was later cleared of any wrongdoing.
The family, from East Granstad, West Sussex, was awarded 28 288,000 (32 5,325,000) by the court.
“People need to know how serious allergies can be, and we will continue to work to raise awareness,” Mr Waheed added.
“We are grateful that the case is now over, and we would like to thank everyone for their cooperation,” he said.
“For us, everything has been to use the criminal trial process in Italy to ensure that justice is done for Cameron, what we have done, as well as to establish the facts and the lessons learned. Make sure you learn so that others don’t get hurt.
Daniel Mitch, an international serious injury lawyer for Arun Mitchell, who represents the family, added: “The last few years have been incredibly difficult, after seeing Cameron’s family die of an allergic reaction.
“Cassandra and Reese have always been very careful in overcoming Cameron’s allergies, and losing them has had a devastating effect on them.
“Although they can’t turn back the clock and change what happened, Cassandra and Riz want to let people know that the allergy is potentially fatal to help ensure that someone else They don’t have it. ”