Angry firefighters turned their backs on the senior manager when he came to talk to him about the two-hour delay in the Manchester Arena bombing.
Only a team of 12 regular firefighters – the number involved in the house fire – was dispatched to the scene, more than two hours after the May 2017 explosion, at 39 minutes past midnight.
Trained personnel were sent back to work in the blast areas.
As Greater Manchester Police offered an “unsafe apology” for communication failures on the night of the attack, a public investigation into the atrocities heard today (Thursday) that Assistant Chief Fire Officer Jeff Harris was frightened and confronted the imprisoned firefighters. What An ongoing Paris-style terrorist attack.
City center-based firefighters were first dispatched to Phillips Park Fire Station, three miles from the field, and later to Manchester Central Fire Station at night.
Leaving the expert staff behind, they were forced to wait another 30 minutes before being sent to the venue for only 12 minutes.
Even then, he was told to retreat, but he refused his boss and went to help treat the wounded at the Victoria railway station adjacent to the field.
When 22 people were killed and hundreds injured when Salman Abid detonated a huge bomb in his bag while the concert goers were leaving the Ariana Grand Concert.
Chief Fire Officer Peter O’Reilly, who was present at the brigade’s headquarters in Eccles, agreed to send only a dozen firefighters to the field after talking to Northwest Ambulance Service’s bronze commander Steve Haynes.
The inquiry heard Mr Harris volunteered at the Manchester Central Fire Station at 3.30am to speak to the “fuzzing” firefighters, but he turned away.
Suppressed by Pool Granny QC. Mr Harris, the inquiry’s now-retired lawyer, admitted that he had “heated up” the 15-minute conversation with firefighters, who were circling him “three or four deep”.
He acknowledged that the firefighters’ concerns were “understandable”, adding that they could not answer many of the questions being raised.
Mr Harris said: “They were getting answers to their questions but they were asking the same question over and over again. At one point I said we were going round and I was not going to be able to do that for you. The answers you are looking for ‘and drew to a close but asked about their well-being and reminded them of the services available.
“At that moment, number one laughed and turned his back.”
He agreed with the QC that it was right for firefighters to feel frustrated by the administration.
He added: “The truth is, the only thing that would have sensibly satisfied firefighters that night was to step back and respond.
“Not only did we let the people of Greater Manchester down, we also let these firefighters down.”
Earlier, he admitted that when he attended the Access Command’s ‘Command Support Room’ and effectively had a limited role as a ‘spare pair of hands’.
He acknowledged that there had been a “massive failure” by the fire service that night.
Mr Harris said he was a good friend of Mr O’Reilly, who had sent him a “good luck” WhatsApp message the day before his testimony, although he insisted he had not discussed the evidence.
He rejected suggestions that Mr O’Reilly was a “bully” and confirmed that he supported the chief’s view at night that only 12 regular firefighters should be sent to the scene, and Requests from other senior managers to send staff exclusively trained to work were rejected. Explosion zone
The chairman of the inquiry, John Sanders, put pressure on him, agreeing that it was wrong to send 12 regular firefighters to the field at ‘hind sites’ when it was considered a ‘warm zone’. The work should have been done by expert staff.
Ian Pilling, the deputy chief constable of Greater Manchester Police, later issued an “unsafe apology” for communication problems in the first hour after the attack.
Dale Sexton, the GMP’s force duty officer at night, did not tell other Blue Light services that he had launched Operation Plato, a planned armed response to a series of Paris-style terrorist attacks. There is fear.
He asserted that his confession had been obtained through torture and that his confession had been obtained through torture.
Mr. Pling stood to give a short speech before beginning his evidence.
He offered his condolences to the bereaved families and to those who were injured in the attack, and said that the current retired Chief Constable Ian Hopkins had met with the family and offered personal condolences.
He said the actions of the “first responders” at night were “ideal”, with individuals displaying “extraordinary bravery”.
However, he added: “I also want to acknowledge and apologize for the failures of the Greater Manchester Police.”
He added that the apology was due to the failure to communicate with other Blue Light partner agencies on the night of the attack, and in particular the failure to notify other services provided by OP Plato and the effective inter-service. Failed to establish communication. ‘.
“We apologize for the inconvenience,” he said.
Get the latest updates from across Greater Manchester directly in your inbox with the MEN newsletter
You can easily sign up by following the instructions Here
He outlined several failures, including that senior officers involved in the night had no training in Operation Plato and that the police commander failed to meet with counterparts from other agencies in the early stages of the incident. Were
Asked how critical it was to fail to inform other agencies about OP Plato, Mr Pilling said: “It was important to me as a broad communicator but just as important. I think a lot of Plato There is a risk of over-entry which is important to me but the general conversation about what is happening, what we knew and Plato were all important things.
“The GMP should have informed other partner agencies when Plato was announced, but I think it’s about a broader communication of which Plato would have been a part.”