A young boy with a mental and physical disability had a respiratory infection that filled his breathing tube.
Syed Mohammad Ahmed Fasih, known as Ahmed, underwent a tracheostomy at the age of three months after he was diagnosed with airway problems.
Khurma and Syed, seven-year-old parents, checked him regularly and replaced or sucked his tube when needed.
On March 20 last year, his parents checked with Ahmed every few hours at their South Manchester home.
Throughout the process, he lay quietly on his back.
Manchester Coroner’s Court heard his father left without his phone at around 1am.
But sadly, his mother did not respond to him at about 1.30 pm.
After contacting her parents, Khurram played paramedics and tried CPR on Ahmed.
Recalling the time of her deterioration, Mrs. Fasih told the court: “I saw that he was not breathing. He was white.
“As soon as I found out he was not moving, I called my parents.
“I called an ambulance shortly after talking to my parents.”
Mrs Fasia said she did not believe Ahmed had thought he was asleep at the time of her death.
Paramedics visited the homes of Mrs. Fasih and Mr. Saleem Fasi in Washington, but Ahmed was pronounced dead.
The search revealed that Ahmed was born prematurely in January 2013 – but this was not a direct cause of his disability.
He had crooked limbs and difficulty feeding, and his brain was not as developed on the left as on the right.
Because of her significant and complex needs, her parents sought the help of day and night caregivers.
Ahmed attended school but on March 11, 2020, his family kept him at home.
He was worried about contracting the corona virus and felt he was safer at home with his family.
Two days later he had a cough and a high temperature, so his father contacted his GP for advice.
The GP had prescribed antibiotics to Ahmed and it seemed that he would get better in a few days.
Ahmed’s family had asked the carrier to stop visiting their home due to the risk of corona virus.
His family took care of him.
On the morning of March 20, 2020, Mrs. Fasih made her routine with Ahmed until 7 p.m.
Her husband checked with Ahmed at 9 and 11 in the morning but he did not see anything unusual.
“They will make noise and they were really loud so it can’t be ignored if their tube needs to be replaced,” Mr Saleem Fasih said.
After that her husband went out but did not bring his phone.
Mrs. Fasih went to check on her son at 12.30 pm and she was on his back – making noise.
At about 1.30am she went to check on him again and he was not responsible.
The paramedic arrived 10 minutes later but was pronounced dead.
Two hours after the ambulance, Ahmed was taken to the Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital.
He was tested for Cowade but he was upset because of it.
Dr. Melania McMahon, Sodsi (Sudden Unexpected Death in Early Age and Childhood) was examined by Ahmed, a pediatrician.
He was also examined by Dr Rachel Jenner, an emergency medicine consultant specializing in pediatrics at the Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital.
In proof of this, Dr. Jenner said: “She died at home, but there are many practices in society when a child dies.
“Dr. McMahon himself came to the emergency department when she was a pediatrician on call.
“We follow this procedure when a child dies suddenly.”
Dr. McMahon testified: “Everyone recognizes Ahmed as a weak young man.
“She needs a high level of care and when it was reported that her care had been withdrawn, questions had to be asked.
“If a family does not need care and support, it should be offered in spite of COVID.”
Dr McMahon said Manchester Services had reviewed the safety practice since Ahmed’s death.
Behavior has changed for children with complex needs and what can be offered to them and their families.
Dr McMahon said: “Now the practices in the agencies are very different. We hope that such a war will never happen again and there will be no clear offer.
“We have made it clear that all services should be open to children and that they should be medically diagnosed.”
Senior Coroner Najil Meadow confirmed that Greater Manchester Police said there were no suspicious circumstances surrounding Ahmed’s death.
Following Ahmed’s death, an autopsy was performed by pediatrician Dr. Melania Newblood.
There was evidence of rhinovirus – a respiratory virus that usually causes the common cold.
Dr. Newblood’s report indicated that Ahmed’s airways were blocked by rhinovirus and that his sudden death was from a mucus-filled trichostomy tube.
Dr. McMahon told the court that rhinovirus can cause significant illness and increased fluid retention in children with respiratory disabilities.
Mr Meadows concluded: “Ahmed suffers from a number of congenital abnormalities and consequent medical conditions.
“She had complex care needs, including tracheostomy management.
“It was a temperature on March 13, 2020 and the GP got a call.
“It simply came to our notice then.
At seven in the morning, Mrs. Fasih met her usual needs.
Then his father saw him at 9:11 in the morning.
“There were no worries. Again, at around 12.30pm, his mother did not notice any difficulty in breathing.
“At 1.30pm, something unusual happened and her mother called her parents for advice and called an ambulance.
“The ambulance arrived within ten minutes. The old date and check have been done.
“Paramedics have found evidence of hypostasis, which means he has been dead for some time.
“There is no other fact of Ahmed’s death. He did not have a coward.
“He had a common cold virus. It is possible that Ahmed died after a respiratory tract infection.
“The tracheotomy tube is blocked or partially blocked and can no longer work.
“Ahmed did not die completely naturally and the tracheotomy had a partial or complete obstruction.”
Recording a concluding statement, Mr Meadows said: “Ahmed died of recognized complications of long-term trichostomy placement combined with a long-term comorbid condition.”
Addressing Ahmed’s parents, Mr Meadows said: “I offer my sincere condolences to Ahmed on his loss.
Addressing Dr. Jenner and Dr. McMahon, Mr. Meadows said: “Dr. Jenner and Dr. McMahon and their colleagues are working on epidemics and this must be acknowledged.”