The Brazilian legend used social media to confirm the news and said he was hopeful of his recovery.
Brazilian legend Pele has confirmed that he has undergone successful surgery to remove a tumor from his colon.
The three-time World Cup winner revealed that a tumor was discovered during a test at the hospital last week.
The 80-year-old is optimistic about his recovery and says he will keep a smile on his face during the process.
What did Pele say?
Pele confirmed in a news release. Instagram Post Wearing the famous Brazilian jersey with his picture.
“Last week I had surgery to remove a suspicious wound in my right colon,” he wrote.
The tumor was identified during the tests I mentioned last week. Fortunately, I am used to celebrating great victories with you.
“I will face this match with a smile on my face, a lot of hope and happiness to live a life surrounded by the love of my family and friends.”
Denying baseless rumors
The news came just days after Pele was forced to deny reports that he had fainted in hospital because of rumors circulating about his health.
He posted on social media, “Logo, I’m not unconscious and I’m in very good health.”
“I went for my usual exams, which I had not been able to do before due to epidemics. Let them know I won’t play next Sunday!
Pele is widely agreed to be one of the best footballers of all time, having excelled nationally and globally for more than a decade.
He scored more than a thousand goals for the club and the country throughout his career, most of his club goals came for Santos.
The former striker has played in four World Cups and was part of Brazil’s three winning teams in 1958, 1962 and 1970.