A Labor MP has called on Wagon Council to fulfill “clear promises” made earlier this year regarding plans to redevelop the town center.
Lisa Nandi said she was assured that all councilors would have the opportunity to discuss re-development plans at the full council meeting.
More than 5,000 people have signed a petition calling for the projects to be halted – usually to cross the threshold required for a full council debate.
And opposition councilors have moved a motion calling for the “motorroom” to be placed on proposals that “do not require sufficient public support.”
However, the Wagon Council has decided that the issue will not be discussed at the next council meeting on October 6, as it relates to a request for a plan.
But Nandi, who represents Wagon, insists the council should have a full discussion.
He said: “I was reassured earlier this year and I was assured that there would be a debate, part of which raised the concern that many people Cannot engage in consultation.
“I have been in touch with many quarters who have concerns and suggestions regarding redevelopment that should be discussed with councilors.
“I have written to the council to ask that the clear promises made to me have now been fulfilled, and that there is an opportunity for public and elected councilors to examine and discuss these proposals.
“Our town center is an important part of the life of our community, and the community must be in the driving seat of its rejuvenation.”
The redevelopment plan was requested earlier this year.
If the redevelopment proceeds, most of the galleries shopping center and wagon market will collapse, paving the way for a multimedia center with 464 homes, hotels and cinemas, bowling alleys and indoor mini-golf.
A new market hall with traditional stalls, modern retail units, workplaces, small offices and a modern food hall has also been proposed.
The Wagon Council Monitoring Officer has ruled that, according to the council’s policy, the matter cannot be discussed in full council, while a live application is available.
Instead, the planning committee will consider it part of the process.
But Tory group leader Michael Winstonley does not accept the decision.
He said: “I have been receiving a lot of complaints from people in the whole area about the council’s handling of this controversial project.
“It is clear that the current plans do not enjoy the support of the people of this borough and need to be reconsidered immediately before it is too late and the Wagon Town Center will be destroyed forever.”
The Conservative councilor plans to re-introduce the motion for the December meeting, once the planning committee voted on the request.
Members of the Friends of Wagon Town Center group claim to have collected an additional 2,000 signatures since the application was filed.
The newly formed group says it is “in favor of more development”.
A spokesman said: “The news of the demolition of eight acres of our town center and plans to build tower blocks of flats came as a shock to many, yet the Wagon Council claimed extensive consultation.
“At every step, the people the council serves and the elected officials who represent us have been silenced, and all attempts to open negotiations have been thwarted.”
Wagon Council says only a few shopping centers will be demolished.
A spokesman said: “The council has not ruled out a full council discussion on plans to redevelop the town center.
“However, it would be inappropriate for any such discussion to take place while the live planning application is under consideration.
“It’s very important to make sure that people have their say on important developments like the galleries.
“In November, there will be a specially planned planning committee to consider gallery planning requests and comments or objections received.”
The planning committee is scheduled to consider the application on November 2.
To get the latest email updates from Manchester Evening News, Click here.